Sunday, September 13, 2026

Movie #3663 ........................."Dumplin'" (Netflix)

Movie #3663 "Dumplin'" (Netflix)  Well, after I revisited Dolly in "9 to 5,"  I thought I would check out a movie I knew she had worked on music wise, rather than acting in it.  Jennifer Anniston and this young girl playing her daughter did a really good job of handling a difficult subject --- overweight girls and their place in a beautify pageant.  Aniston plays the mom and main pusher of this traditional event in town, and her daughter, dealing with grief (her aunt died) feels compelled to enter the contest  for the first time to honor her aunt.  This puts mom in a pickle because she worries a lot about what others think, and her daughter doesn't seem to be beauty pageant material...... like I said, a difficult subject to tackle in a film, but it is done in good taste here.  There's even a high school romance that adds to the charm of the film.  Not to mention the Trans chorus line from the local bar who help the young girl with her confidence and talent portion of the pageant.  Oh, and I should mention the whole film revolves around the young girl admiring Dolly Parton and singing to her music constantly.  This was a fun watch, and I thought it handled the touch subject well.  I would give it a 4 out of 5.  And hats off to Parton's music -- she wrote all the songs in here and again established just what a prolific composer she was .   

"DUMPLIN'"    2018      PG-13      1 hour and 50 mins

Willowdean (Dumplin) the plus-size teenage daughter of a former beauty queen, signs up for her mom's Miss Teen Bluebonnet pageant as a protest that escalates when other contestants follow her footsteps, revolutionizing the pageant and their small Texas town.

Director:  Anne Fletcher

Writers:  Kristin Hahn, Julie Murphy

Actors:  Danielle MacDonald, Jennifer Aniston, ODeya Rush

No comments:

Post a Comment